The booklet has further information on DNA and current costs.
If you send these hair samples back to the office before the calf reaches 10 months of age, Weatherbys, will hold them without further actions. There will be no charge to you at this time.
If later these bulls need to be typed, either for a Society Sale or as a Herd sire etc, the cost for this test will be at the reduced rate.
If you do not send the hair sample in a “pending bag” before the animal is 10 months old, then the charge for the DNA testing will be at the full rate.
HAIR SAMPLE INSTRUCTIONS
- Hair Roots: provide excellent source material for DNA analysis, however, in order to avoid repeat requests for hair roots, a number of precautions must be taken when collecting hair root samples.
- Root Follicies: It is essential that hair samples must contain root follicles as it is the follicles that contain DNA and not the hair itself.
- No of hairs: A minimum of 30 hairs must be taken, preferably from the back of the neck and shoulder blade area.
- Hair: it is vital that the hair is completely dry and as clean as possible.
- Contamination: When more than one animal is to be sampled, extreme care must be taken to avoid contamination of hair roots from one animal to another.
Please complete the form below to request DNA bags